Monday 11 August 2014

My Mum's wedding dress

I wanted my Mum's wedding dress for a secret project (for her 75th birthday) so she found it out for me and gave me permission to use it.



This is my Mum wearing her dress.


 








My Mum made the dress herself, using crystal satin, which has a nice weight to it, and it is lined with taffeta. It's not too easy to see from these photos, but the dress is very dusty so it's a bit grey and has lost a bit of its sparkle.



You can still see the dirt on the train from it brushing the floor on her wedding day.







These last photos have been taken after the dress as had a wash (I soaked it in cold water first, which loosened a lot of the dust and then it went into the washing machine on a gentle handwash cycle).

The colour of the dress is never going to be the same as it was originally, as it is 48-years-old, but it is now much brighter and has its sparkle back. 

I'm going to cut the train off and use that in my birthday project. The rest of the dress will be wrapped in tissue and put with mine to play with on another day. I have quite a few ideas of what I could do with it!




This lace came from around the edges of the sleeves (I'd taken it off before I took the photos), I handwashed it. It now has a lovely tea-stained appearance, without me having to actually stain it. This will also be used for the birthday project.

Have you made anything from your wedding dress or has it been used by someone else?

TTFN
Louise


No comments:

Post a Comment