Thursday 12 January 2012

A few of my favourite things - teacups and saucers

First, I must own up that for the majority of the time, I have my 'cups' of tea served in an enormous mug, but we do try to use 'proper' cups and saucers at the weekend, especially as I have a few vintage sets. The photo below shows some of the cups and saucers we use.


Since I was quite young I have collected cups and saucers (some with plates), with some being vintage and some new (though these ones are usually seconds). I also added a couple to my collection when my Mum and Dad down-sized to a smaller house.

Vintage/antique teacups
This Susie Cooper cup and saucer was one of my Mum's.

This teacup and saucer have hand painted birds and flowers on it. It was probably bought as a blank and painted at home as the paint is on top of the glaze. I like to imagine that it was painted by a genteel lady of leisure.

If I had to choose, I'd say this trio was my favourite as it has one of may favourite colour combinations, green and pink.

This trio (cup and saucer plus plate) doesn't have a marking so may be foreign, but I love their faded beauty.

A quartet of trios:






New (when bought) teacups and saucers.
This Aynsley cup and saucer was a present from my sister and her husband, I'd spotted whilst shopping in Selfridge's in Manchester over 10 years ago (where does the time go?).
These Royal Albert cups and saucers are seconds and bought over a couple of years. I like the juxtaposition of the flowers against the black background.

Strictly speaking, this may be a coffee cup, but I liked the pattern!
What are your favourite things?

TTFN
Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment